Tuesday 21 April 2015

The issue of Equality

As an activist of 35 years and an experienced campaigner I have always ensured that Equalities formed part of the agenda.

As Margaret Hodge said at the LGBT event organised by UNISON at Portcullis House in January, "Islington has played an enormous part in campaigning around equality and the Equalities Act is a direct result of the battle unions and the Labour movement have fought."

I am pleased to say I was part of that fight. I still involve myself in my role as Branch Secretary in all the Self Organised Groups.
When members in the Registrars department were vilified for raising concerns that a colleague refused to perform civil partnership ceremonies.

I immediately reactivated the LGBT (which had stopped functioNing for a few years) as it was felt there were no issues for the group.
Margaret Hodge MP, Stephen Twigg MP, Kevin Perkins and Jane Doolan

Islington was one of the first boroughs to have a negotiated HIV policy.

As a woman and carer for a disabled husband and daughter, I cannot stress enough the importance of equalities being at the forefront of what we do. I listen in horror to UKIP - making statements about people with disabilities and allegations that claim disabled foetus (Down's Syndrome) should be compulsorily aborted.

I will, if elected to the NEC, carry forward my principles and fight injustice wherever it arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment